Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Bummed... and link of the day.

The Tausug books I wrote still have not arrived. This coming Saturday will be week 7 already. I had a talk with the postal worker at my local post office and he said that was kind of odd, even for a package coming from Honolulu. He said to consider it lost and file the insurance claim.

And now I'm depressed about this.

But there is hope! I got in contact with eBay sellers who have experience mailing stuff; they have familiarity with how the US Postal Service operates. They said to fill out a "tracer" or more specifically, PS Form 1510 Mail Loss/Rifling Report. USPS will conduct an investigation to see where my package went. Usually they'll find the package in a back room, forgotten, or whatever.

In any case, the person who sent it, my friend Jason Lobel, has to initiate the search and I've already passed on the information to him on his voice mail last night.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am just glad I put insurance on it as well as a delivery confirmation number on it so I can make sure, via USPS's website, that it was not mistakenly delivered to whomever.

But seriously, how the hell can you lose 31 lbs of books!? This has been a frustrating experience for me. I've learned my lesson. Ship UPS or FEDEX.

And so sorry for the negative post, to make up for it I'll show you what I found last night: http://www.bohol.ph/books/Jimenez/EnglishBisayaGrammar.html

It's a grammar of Cebuano that was written in 1904. It was translated from Spanish to English. Very interesting. And when I have more time, I'll read it over more in depth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello. my name is zarah, and i usually don't sound as boring as i am now. i'm not even sure what i'm doing right now, i guess i just want to be heard at the moment.
the reason why i stumbled upon this "site" (and making a complete fool of myself as i can imagine, i'm not really an internet person, it's my last resort for desperate times like this) is because after reading today's paper, i learned of a kalinga song named day-ondon, a woman's song of loneliness when her lover or husband has left for a long journey. and that is what's plaguing me right now, my boyfriend left just june this year for saudi arabia and will be staying there for two years.
and so in search for the lyrics of the song (which i think is futile this way) i tried the internet anyway. you know how it is when you know how hopeless your mission is but you do it anyway just for the sake of easing the pain... and voila! i found this world of yours... and if you've come to this point in reading this "little voice", i happen to think this site of yours is cool. for several reasons.
i finished sertipiko sa malikhaing pagsulat sa filipino in up diliman, and armed w/ a university scholar's average, was poised to take up philippine studies. but yours truly is a 28 yr old single mother to a beautiful 10 year old boy who is currently head over heels inlove w/ beethoven's 9th symphony and eats greek mythology for snacks. so i had to give up marx and feminism (we had a great course line-up in that 2 year certificate course) to work. But God doesn't run out of surprises for a gurl like me.
i'm on my fourth month in a call center located in makati. yep i'm located in manila now, specifically quezon city. and if you don't know it yet, i'm in an industry that kerry planned to kill, called outsourcing. i'm one of those thousands of nameless customer service representatives who answers calls from the US of A. This current call center is actually my fourth and all in all i've been working in this industry for a little over a year.
so what's the surprise? well after i've competely immersed myself in phil culture, literature, and history, here i am speaking w/ americans for a living (and possibly as a career) complete with an accent and knowledge of the american map and time zones. but i'm not totally sold out to the e-, ehh, este, to "them". i am still critical about all this experience, particulary about the national anthem of all call centers here in the Phil: "English Speaking Zone".
Forgive me but right now i've just run out of all the energy i have. i came from a 10pm-6am shift and it's almost 12:30 in the afternoon now. But before I leave this blabbering message of mine, i'd like to thank you for reading on (if you did) and sincerely feel that what you're doing is great. Before I left UP we were studying language as power, and if i had more time and energy I'd love to discuss some thoughts with you. If you find me interesting enough to chat w/ feel free to send an email to pryzarah@yahoo.com. Otherwise i'd definitely be visiting your site as often as i can.
salamat po at ingatz! :)